Cheney speaks
Assuming that Harry Whittington makes a rapid recovery, Dick Cheney today -- finally -- did what he had to do to put the hunting accident behind him. FoxNews.com just quit on me, so I'll link to the Washington Post account of Cheney's interview with Brit Hume:
"You can't blame anybody else," Cheney said in an interview with Fox News Channel. "I'm the guy who pulled the trigger and shot my friend. It's a moment I'll never forget."What else could Cheney say? Nevertheless, these are the right words, and he should have spoken them three days ago.
Cheney said that after he shot Harry Whittington on Saturday afternoon at a Texas ranch, he ran over to him and said, "I had no idea that you were there. He didn't respond."
Cheney said that Whittington was laying on his back, bleeding on the ground. "You could see where the shot had struck him," Cheney said. "It was one of the worst days of my life."



9 Comments:
When will these folks learn that basic honesty in a timely manner can win them far more "political capital" than W could earn in a month of Texas quail hunting. Oops. I forgot. Honesty isn't in their vocab.
And, by their very nature the first reaction is flight, hide, and lie. Craven and gormless every single time!
Too little, too late, only when cornered, even by his own, and then only in the friendliest and least critical forum imaginiable (Fox). I want to hear more about the ladies and the booze.
Did Hume ask him "Mr. Cheney, were you drunk?"
On a different subject, Dan, WORK HARDER! You haven't made Horowitz's list yet!
You're new, so I'll cut you some slack. :-)
The feckless and cowardly Cheney knew to duck:
Texas Penal Code Title 5, Chapter 22.04(a)(3) makes it an offense for someone to injure an elderly person (over age 65) by an act of recklessness or criminal negligence. Subsection (f) or (g) would make it a "state jail felony."
I'm with Baar on this one. A boon to Jon Stewart, that's about it. Whether you approve of Cheney or not is irrelevant--this will be forgotten in a week.
Remember the fuss about warrantless wiretapping? That story is so January. Who cares anymore. Ancient history.
Doubt it.. Chronic and compound failures do not cancel each other out.
Rufus, wow. Now that you've straightened Dan out, can you show us how it's done?
Rufus, not only that, but the dipping sauce has too much ginger. Other customers have made the same complaint, but the chef has his quirks and we must grant him some license. Other than your dissatisfaction with the quantity and quality of Dan's posts though, I am glad to see that you are satisfied with the blog.
"Lots of time goes by between posts." Too true, too true. Why at one point I think there was a gap of more than six hours between these Elmer Fudd-shoots-his-buddy posts. This is obviously unacceptable. As ombudsman, I apologize on behalf of management. We promise to endeavor to persevere, and will continue to monitor the situation.
And next time, no charge for the Peking ravioli!
Post a Comment
<< Home