Media Nation has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.dankennedy.net
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, August 18, 2008

Maybe he meant the other confederacy

Because I'm feeling charitable this evening, I will assume that Boston Globe columnist Kevin Cullen knew better when he identified Delaware as a former Confederate state. After all, Adam Gaffin missed it, too. But not Ron Newman. (Thanks to Media Nation reader B.C.)

Labels:

7 Comments:

At August 18, 2008 at 9:22:00 PM EDT, Blogger Steve said...

Facts is facts.

But a significant portion of NJ was south of the Mason-Dixon line, and there was a Klan chapter in Hightstown until at least the 1970s.

On the other hand, go south on the Delmarva peninsula and when you get to the Virginia line, there's a nice sign saying "Welcome to Dixie". And the other way, "You are now leaving The South".

 
At August 18, 2008 at 11:53:00 PM EDT, Blogger acf said...

Regional sentiments within a state did not make that state Confederate or Union.

 
At August 19, 2008 at 11:04:00 AM EDT, Blogger Peter Porcupine said...

DK - perhaps he meant a Confederacy of Dunces? :~)

 
At August 19, 2008 at 11:24:00 AM EDT, Blogger Neil said...

PP yes, I think that was Dan's sly joke.

 
At August 21, 2008 at 9:08:00 AM EDT, Blogger Marc Larocque said...

This just in, today, from B1 of Mother Globe: "Kevin Cullen is a moron. Trust us. You don't want to reach him."

Heh-heh. It's nice that BG can acknowledge its marquee columnist's Masshole-ishness.

 
At August 22, 2008 at 9:54:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dan Kennedy said...

Mark: Personally, I've made way too many mistakes like Cullen's to go down that road.

 
At August 25, 2008 at 10:21:00 AM EDT, Blogger Marc Larocque said...

No. I didn't go down that road, Dan. The Globe did. That quote was from the Globe themselves printed below Kevin's column. He probably put it there himself. And I commend Kullen and the paper for being so playful and self-effacing after the fact. So I'm not going down any dark road of smarmy media criticism so it's allll good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home