On (not) building for the future
What a strange sentence Richard Pérez-Peña wrote in describing the problems faced by the Chicago Sun-Times in finding a buyer. From tomorrow's New York Times:
The Chicago Sun-Times is the kind of trophy that once appealed to deep-pocketed buyers. It has a big audience in a big market, a storied name, and stars like Roger Ebert and Robert Novak.Ebert, as you probably know, has been battling
It's not disrespectful to point out that no newspaper executive would buy the Sun-Times thinking he'd have Ebert and Novak in his stable for any length of time. Pérez-Peña knows this. What were he — and his editors — thinking?
Labels: media criticism, New York Times, Robert Novak, Roger Ebert



3 Comments:
You are so busted, Pérez-Peña. Check out the first sentence under "Staff."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Sun-Times
Leslie
Leslie: I'm sure he didn't have to go to Wikipedia to know who the Sun-Times' two best-known writers are.
Well, I didn't either. And I live on the high prairie somewhere up on a caprock. BUT I was also up to date about the health of these guys. So I wondered why P-P wasn't. So I wondered what might have been his source.
Post a Comment
<< Home